He graduated as a machinist from a two-year program at what is now E.C. Goodwin Technical High School, then worked as a toolmaker at Colt Firearms in Hartford for more than a decade. In 1940, he and his brothers rented a garage and started manufacturing tool holders under the name Atlantic Machine Tool Works. The business grew, and the Budneys were soon able to build a factory in Newington based on orders from Pratt & Whitney, their major customer. Over time, the company, whose name was shortened to Atlantic Machine, employed 2,600 engineers, machinists and tool makers, many of them Polish. Budney was the president.